Hikkaduwa is probably the most popular resort in Sri Lanka with a population of 100,000 people. It is located on the southwestern side of the island, 100 km from Colombo International Airport.
Hikkaduwa on the map
A former small fishing village, Hikkaduwa is now one of the most developed resorts in Sri Lanka thanks to its vast coastline of 10 km and a rich infrastructure. Along the beach stretches the track, along which there is everything you need for a relaxing holiday. Cafes, restaurants, hotels and hostels are densely built along the length of the coastline. There are sidewalks along the road, so that the busy traffic does not interfere with a quiet stroll along the promenade.
The beach in the town is beautiful, 10 km long, wide and sandy, ideal for beach recreation and sunbathing. Also this place is beloved by surfers because of the fairly strong waves. Here you can rent a surfboard, and hire an instructor to teach the sport. But swimming, especially with small children, may not be so comfortable, the rough sea is not suitable for everyone.
Weather in Hikkaduwa now
Weather in Hikkaduwa by month
The temperature of the air and ocean water is stable almost all year round, at 30 degrees above zero. What you should really pay attention to when choosing a vacation in Sri Lanka is the season of tropical showers. They peak in April, May and October and November. During this time it rains practically all day, the sea is very rough and sunny days can not be found at all.
When to visit:
The best time to visit Hikkaduwa is from November to April, when the weather is dry and sunny.
Popular places and attractions:
- Hikkaduwa Beach: The stunning beach is the main attraction of Hikkaduwa, known for its golden sand, clear water and swaying palm trees.
- Coral Reef: The coral reef, which runs parallel to the shore, is a must-see for those interested in snorkeling and diving. The reef is home to a variety of marine species, including turtles, lionfish and morays.
- Seenigama Muhudu Viharaya: A famous Buddhist temple located on a rocky ledge overlooking the Indian Ocean. The temple is believed to have been built in the 3rd century B.C.
- Tsunami Museum: The museum tells the story of the 2004 tsunami that devastated Hikkaduwa and surrounding areas.
- Moonstone Mine: In the nearby village of Meetiyagoda there is a moonstone mine where visitors can learn about the mining process and purchase stunning gemstone jewelry.
- Ambalangoda Mask Museum: A museum showcasing traditional Sri Lankan masks and dances, with over 3,000 masks on display.
Where to stay:
There are a variety of lodging options, from inexpensive guest houses to luxury resorts. Popular options include Chaaya Tranz, The Oasis, and Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon.
Where to eat:
Hikkaduwa has a variety of dining options, from local street food to international cuisine. Popular restaurants include Top Secret Cafe, Funky De Bar and Hotel Happy Tuna.
How to get there:
The easiest way to get around Hikkaduwa is by tuk-tuk, a three-wheeled cab, cheap and convenient. Bicycles and motorcycles can also be rented.
In conclusion, Hikkaduwa is a must visit place for anyone who wants to experience the beauty and culture of Sri Lanka. With its stunning beaches, rich sea life and vibrant culture, this city has something for everyone. So pack your bags and get ready to explore this tropical paradise!