Sabiha Gokcen Airport is an international airport located in Istanbul, Turkey. It serves as a hub for several airlines, including Pegasus Airlines and Turkish Airlines, and is named after Sabiha Gokcen, the world’s first female combat pilot.
- Official name: Sabiha Gokcen International Airport
- Airport code (IATA): SAW
- ICAO code:LTFJ
- Official website: https://sabiha-gekchen.aeroport.website
Sabiha Gokcen Airport on the map
History of Istanbul’s Sabiha Gokcen Airport
Was opened in 2001 on the Asian side of Istanbul, Turkey. It was named after Sabiha Gokcen, the world’s first female combat pilot, who was born in Bursa, Turkey.
The airport was created to relieve Istanbul’s main airport, Ataturk, which is located on the European side of the city. Sabiha Gokcen began as a small regional airport, serving mainly domestic flights within Turkey.
In 2007, a new terminal building was opened at the airport, increasing the capacity of the airport to 25 million passengers per year. Since then, Sabiha Gokcen has played a more important role in air transport in Istanbul, becoming the second largest airport in the city.
Today the airport serves about 35 million passengers a year and is one of the most popular airports in the region. It has become a key hub for Pegasus Airlines and one of the base airports of Turkish Airlines. The airport continues to grow and develop, providing passengers with an ever wider range of services and amenities.
How to get to Sabiha Gokcen Airport:
Sabiha Gokcen Airport is located on the Asian side of Istanbul, about 35 kilometers from the city center. The airport can be reached by several means of transportation, including:
- Cabs: Taxis are available 24 hours a day and are a convenient way to get to the airport. The trip takes about 45 minutes, depending on traffic congestion.
- Bus: Shuttle buses run from various locations in Istanbul, including Taksim, Kadıköy and Sultanahmet. The cost of a shuttle bus ride varies from place to place, but it is usually cheaper than a cab.
- Public Transport: To get to Sabiha Gokcen Airport you can use several types of public transport, including buses and metro. The subway connects to the M4 Kadıköy-Tavsantepe line, which provides direct access to Sabiha Gokcen Airport.
Facilities at Sabiha Gokcen Airport:
Sabiha Gokcen Airport is a modern airport with a range of facilities and services for passengers, including:
- Restaurants and Cafes: There are several restaurants and cafes offering Turkish and international cuisine at the airport.
- Duty-free shopping: Sabiha Gokcen Airport has a number of duty-free stores selling everything from cosmetics to electronics.
- Lounges: The airport has several lounges, including the Pegasus Lounge and the Turkish Airlines Lounge.
- Wi-Fi: Passengers are entitled to free of charge throughout the airport. Wi-Fi.
- Currency exchange: Currency exchange offices are located throughout the airport, providing a convenient way to exchange money.
- Car Rental: Sabiha Gokcen Airport has offices of several car rental companies including Avis, Europcar and Hertz.
- Medical services: The airport has a medical center and pharmacy that provide medical assistance to passengers in need.
Interesting facts about Sabiha Gokcen Airport
Sabiha Gokcen Airport was originally established as a regional airport that served mainly domestic flights within Turkey. However, it has now become one of the largest airports in Istanbul.
The airport is named after Sabiha Gokcen, the world’s first female fighter pilot. She was born in Turkey in 1913 and died in 2001.
In 2010, Sabiha Gokcen Airport won the Skytrax World Airport Awards as the best airport in the region of Europe with a turnover of less than 10 million passengers.
The airport is one of the key hubs for Pegasus Airlines, one of the largest carriers in Turkey. It also serves flights of Turkish Airlines and many other airlines.
Sabiha Gokcen is the first airport in Turkey to use the monorail system to move passengers between airport terminals.
Sabiha Gokcen Airport is located more than 100 meters above sea level and offers passengers an impressive view of the sea scenery.
The airport has a museum dedicated to Sabiha Gokcen and the history of aviation in Turkey. In the museum you can see rare photographs and objects related to aviation.
Sabiha Gokcen Airport is located on the Asian side of Istanbul rather than the European side, making it a convenient option for tourists who want to explore this part of the city.
Sabiha Gokcen Airport is a modern, well-equipped airport that provides convenient connections to Istanbul and its surroundings. Whether you are traveling for business or leisure, the airport’s comprehensive facilities and services ensure you have a comfortable and carefree journey.