Ankara is the capital of Turkey, the second most populous city in Turkey after Istanbul. It is home to about 5 million people. The architecture and atmosphere in Ankara is a mixture of modernity and ancient eastern traditions. Ankara is worth visiting for those who want to see the sights and walk around the ancient Turkish city. There is no sea and no natural attractions, but you can go to Ankara on a 1 or 2 day excursion from any resort in Turkey.
Ankara on the map of Turkey
- Official name: Ankara Esenboğa Airport
- Airport code (IATA): ESB
- ICAO code: LTAC
- Official website: http://esenbogaairport.com
- Atakule observation tower, the best place in Ankara to see the whole city from a bird’s eye view. The tower is 125 meters high and has a Spanish restaurant on the landmark. The observation deck rotates in a circle, so in an hour you can see Ankara from all sides.
- Atatkabir is a mausoleum dedicated to Ataturk, a significant and highly revered politician of Turkey. Atatkabir houses Ataturk Museum, a small cinema, an exhibition hall, a souvenir store. Entrance to the mausoleum is free, and a visit to the Ataturk Museum costs 20 liras.
- Ankara Kalesi (citadel) and Ulus, an ancient Byzantine fortress. The citadel (fortress inside the fortress) is preserved here. It is noteworthy that people still live in the fortress. The cost of entry to the fortress – free of charge.
- Kocatepe Mosque is a large and very beautiful mosque in Ankara, built in the late 20th century. Its high minarets are visible from almost anywhere in the city. Many tourists in Ankara come here to enjoy the beauty of this mosque.
Interesting facts about Ankara
- Ankara has been the capital of Turkey since 1923.
- Geographically, the city is located in the center of Anatolia at an altitude of 938 meters above sea level.
- Ankara is the second largest city in Turkey with a population of over 5 million people.
- The city is divided into two parts: the old town, which contains historic monuments, and the new town, which is the business center of the city.
- Ankara is the cultural and university center of Turkey, with more than 20 universities.
- In 2016, the city became the center of a political crisis when there was an attempted coup in Turkey.
- Ankara is famous for its cuisine, particularly lamb and vegetable dishes, as well as its traditional drink, tea.
- There are several iconic landmarks in the city center, including Ataturk’s Mausoleum, the Museum of Anatolian Civilization, and the Turkish Parliament building.
Ankara has many different attractions for tourists, here are some of them:
Visiting historical sites – In Ankara you can visit the Museum of Anatolian Civilization, Ataturk Mausoleum, Ankapark Fortress and other historical sites.
Cultural events – the city has many theaters, concert halls and exhibition centers where you can watch exhibitions, concerts and other cultural events.
Shopping – there are many shopping centers in Ankara, where you can buy souvenirs, clothes, shoes and other products.
Gastronomic tourism – Ankara is famous for its cuisine, in which you will find many dishes of meat, vegetables, fruits and other ingredients.
- Bursa Kebap Evi – The restaurant serves Turkish cuisine, including lamb and vegetable dishes.
- Uludag Kebapcisi – is another restaurant specializing in Turkish cuisine and lamb dishes.
- Nusr-Et Steakhouse – is the restaurant of famous Turkish chef Nusret, whose symbol is the tough way of slicing meat.
- Köşebaşı – is a restaurant that is famous for its meat dishes and cooking over an open fire.
- Adana Ocakbaşı – is a restaurant that serves meat dishes, including adana kebab, one of Turkey’s national dishes.
- Angel Blue – is a rooftop restaurant where you can enjoy Mediterranean cuisine and a panoramic view of the city.
- Pano Karaoke Bar – is a place where you can have fun and sing karaoke, as well as order food and drinks.
Parks and green areas – Ankara has many parks and green areas where you can walk, bike, or picnic.
Active recreation – there are sports complexes where you can do sports, as well as skating or catamaraning.
Nightlife – Ankara has many bars, clubs and restaurants where you can spend the evening.